Gosh, I just realized that there's been no knitting content on this blog in 6 weeks. A blog that dares to include "knitting" in the title and then not provide knitting content is pretty gusty! Allow me to explain.
I've been working slowly but steadily on Cozy - a blanket for my grandmother. It's taken 10 balls of this fuzzy pink yarn that is perfect for the blanket but do not have any give.
Given that it's a rectangle with a very simple feather lace pattern, there's not much updating to do unless I thought people wanted to see larger and larger rectangles of fuzzy pink yarn. I got almost all of the way done before I needed to take a break. I anticipate finishing within a week. Here's what it looks like now, folded in half.
I moved on to the second phase of Ravelry's Vegan Sock group KAL using the Brainless pattern and some Saucon Sock in a hunter green I had in my stash. I hadn't used this yarn before and was looking forward to trying it. The pattern is fairly simple, as the name suggests, a toe-up mainly stockingette sock with a cable up each side flanked by twisted stitches and a more interesting heel done with purl gussets that get slowly decreased as the heel flap is knit. This is similar to the one I used to make the Diamond Waffle socks.
The sock started smoothly enough until I got to the end of the gusset increases. With the stop and start knitting times I've had in the past two weeks, I'd missed a few increase stitches and when I began the heel turn, the setup row did not match the rest of the stitches.
In order to fix the mistakes properly, I needed to rip back about 8 rows. I'd already had problems putting stitches back on the needles earlier in the sock if I dropped a stitch or made a mistake. But putting the stitches back after ripping out all of them was a true nightmare. I've heard people complaining about the splittiness of plant-based yarns before, especially some cottons where the yarn is composed of multiple strands. But nothing compares to the horror of multiple cotton strands plus very fuzzy acrylic and nylon in a yarn that has absolutely no stretch.
Each stitch split into multiple pieces and the fuzzy ones split even more, turning direction which made it really hard to get them back onto the needle facing the same way. I persevered and eventually got it but frankly, I haven't worked on the sock since and I have come to the conclusion that this yarn is just not very good quality and doesn't have enough stretch for socks. And although I've never abandoned a project this far along due to yarn issues, I think this may be my first one.
I am sorry to have lost the time but I think I will be much happier starting a new sock with a yarn I actually enjoy knitting with, and I have two balls of Panda Soy and several balls of Bamboozle waiting for me.
Goodbye Brainless sock! I'm sorry it didn't work out between us.